Archive for June, 2012
$80 Billion in Food Stamps and No Clue How It’s Spent
Monday, 25 Jun 2012 02:30 PM
By Patrick Hobin
Read more on Newsmax.com: $80 Billion in Food Stamps and No Clue How It’s Spent
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama’s Re-Election? Vote Here Now!
Taxpayers who fund the $80 billion-a-year food stamp program are not allowed to see where or how the money is spent, the Washington Times reported.
Even food stamp costs have more than doubled in recent years, the Times said, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says it can’t disclose how much each store accepts in benefits, which stores do the most business in food stamps, and what kind of food is bought. The amount of food stamps laundered into cash has increased dramatically, the Times reported. The USDA administers the food stamps program in conjunction with states. The Senate passed a version of the farm bill last week that lowers food stamp spending by $4.5 billion.
“USDA hides behind a specious proprietary data argument: The public doesn’t want to know internal business decisions or information about specific individuals’ finances,” Steve Ellis of the watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense told the Times. “The USDA sees retailers, junk food manufacturers and the big ag lobby as their customers, rather than the taxpayer.”
Some states have been chided by the USDA for releasing subsets of information about food stamp purchases, the Times reported.
In Oklahoma for instance, Wal-Mart received about half of the $1 billion in food stamp purchases, the Times reported. In urban areas, food stamp money is commonly spent at corner stores on junk food and fraud is more common. Information confirming that small stores report high food stamp sales could be an indicator that it was accepting customers’ food stamps and giving back cash, according to the Times.
Read more on Newsmax.com: $80 Billion in Food Stamps and No Clue How It’s Spent
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama’s Re-Election? Vote Here Now!
“A country, after all, is not something you build as the pharaohs built the pyramids, and then leave standing there to defy eternity. A country is something that is built every day out of certain basic shared values.”
– Pierre Trudeau
[Joseph Philippe Pierre Yves Elliott Trudeau] (1919-2000) Prime Minister of Canada (1968-1979, 1980-1984)
Source: Memoirs (1993), Part 5, Life After Politics, p. 366
This is a quote I can both agree with and worry about. Those of us who are working or who want to work are not “sharing values” with those content to be on the dole, on the government tit, and it seems that segment is growing daily as the “fuzzies” the “libs” continue to buy votes with handouts of OUR money. Some things seem to be progressing, such as the new Florida law requiring those on welfare to take a drug test. GO FLORIDA! And the Supreme Court upholding Arizona’s right to check a person’s citizenship when they’re stopped by police.
Then our administration tries something so blatantly against our Constitution as removing 287G from Arizona’s rights. This from the ICE webpage:
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the largest investigative agency in the Department of Homeland Security, enforces federal immigration laws as part of its homeland security mission. ICE works closely with federal, state and local law enforcement partners in this mission.
The 287(g) program, one of ICE’s top partnership initiatives, allows a state and local law enforcement entity to enter into a partnership with ICE, under a joint Memorandum of Agreement (MOA). The state or local entity receives delegated authority for immigration enforcement within their jurisdictions.
So now, in the eyes of the federal government Arizona has no authority for immigration enforcement? But New Mexico, California, and Texas…and all other states do? The fed is saying if you want to use the Supreme Court to overturn what we want, if you want to comply with the ruling of the Supreme Court, we will punish you. I find it very interesting, and I’m sure the Supreme Court justices do as well, that Obama is trying an end run to punish a state who’s only following the courts interpretation of the Constitution. Then again, time and time again, the Obama administration seems to think the law of the land is something they can ignore. Something they are above.
If there’s one value we in this country should share, it’s a reverence for the document that’s the foundation of all that’s made us great, all that’s made us the go-to country in the world. And the Supreme Court is the supreme interpretation of that document. There’s no question in my mind that there’s one citizen who doesn’t share that particular value and that’s Barack Hussein Obama. He demonstrates it day after day after day. Sorry, Mr. President, but I don’t share your values. I comply with the rulings of the Supreme Court.
From Senator Fred Thompson:
The Fast and Furious investigation by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has produced President Obama’s first executive privilege claim. The Committee has been aggressively looking into the ATF’s botched operation that deliberately allowed about 2,000 weapons to be sold into Mexico, and distributed among Mexican drug cartels. This resulted in the killing of at least one US Border Patrol agent. The committee has subpoenaed Justice Department documents pertaining to who in the department knew about the operation and when they knew it. The department has refused to turn over most of the subpoenaed documents.
Attorney General Eric Holder has been waltzing the committee around, producing selected documents and (you guessed it) blaming the Bush Administration for similar and worse activities. These charges were so clearly erroneous that Holder later withdrew them. This has resulted in a showdown, and Wednesday the committee voted to hold Holder in contempt. Shortly before the vote, Obama claimed executive privilege in order to refuse to prevent the production of the subpoenaed documents.
Issues as to the proper use of presidential executive privilege have arisen many times, since every president has used it at one time or another. Interestingly, executive privilege is not found in the Constitution, but neither is the right of Congress to investigate. But the Supreme Court has recognized both as implied powers, inherent within the powers that are given to both branches by the Constitution.
What About Executive Privilege?
With regard to executive privilege, the courts have recognized a qualified privilege to protect communications between the president and executive officials, as well as deliberations that go into advice given to the president.
George W. Bush successfully claimed the privilege with regard to matters pertaining to presidential adviser Karl Rove, White House counsel Harriet Meyers and Vice President Dick Cheney. Presidents have, on occasion, cast an even wider net over executive branch action. But I am not aware of any court case that has upheld the right to treat communications between people who work in a department, such as Justice , as privileged. In fact recently the DC Court of Appeals has held just the opposite.
Nevertheless, I believe these are precisely the kind of documents that Obama is claiming as privileged. If in fact the documents, or some of them, were sent to the President or his White House aides, then the President’s claim would be stronger. But it would also mean that they were much more involved in Fast and Furious than anyone knew.
In that case the President would take a public-relations hit (assuming anyone in the mainstream media would report it), but he could then raise another point: Courts are more likely to set aside executive privilege if it’s being used to shield information in a criminal investigation.
Everyone remembers that is what happened in President Nixon’s case. The Special Prosecutor was given access to the Nixon tapes. What is often not remembered is that the Watergate Committee, on which I served as counsel, lost its case and its attempt to obtain the same tapes. In both cases the Supreme Court balanced the legitimate, competing interests of the President, on the one hand and the Special Prosecutor and the committee on the other. The court held that the need to do justice in a criminal case overrode the President’s interest in protecting even his own conversations and that of his aides. On the other hand, the committee’s interest in educating the people and in informing itself with regard to possible future legislation, while legitimate, was not superior to that of the President’s interests, as described above. A congressional committee, of course, has no prosecutorial authority.
The favored position given to a criminal investigation was seen again in 1998 when a federal judge ruled that aides to President Clinton could be called by the Independent Counsel to testify in the Lewinsky scandal.
Getting To The Bottom Of It All
However, even under these circumstances the Obama team would have a problem. The House committee has already caught the Justice Department in a blatant misrepresentation. In February of last year the department in a letter to the committee flatly stated that there was no “gun walking” into Mexico. Now, some of the documents being subpoenaed have to do with determining if this was a deliberate lie to Congress. If the Committee can’t get to the bottom of that, then they might as well close up shop.
Roger Clemens can tell you that even weak cases are doggedly pursued. So, while the House is not in the business of prosecuting criminal cases, they could refer the case to Justice, and since Justice can’t investigate itself, call for Special Counsel. We know how far that would get us.
Others have suggested another approach that would probably be more fruitful — that the House file a civil suit in Federal Court for enforcement of the subpoena and request the court to look at the Justice documents “in camera” to determine if executive privilege is appropriate. I think that having this potential criminal shadow over the proceedings would help the House in this endeavor. Then, if the evidence dictates, a criminal case could be pursued.
A Very Simple Cause: Justice
At the end of the day, nothing will happen in the legal arena to settle the matter before the election, and Obama knows that. But the matter should still be pursued for a very simple reason: justice. Justice for the families of those killed in the botched ATF operation and for anyone who tried to cover it up.
As for right now it’s a political matter and it is apparent that the Obama team is sitting on damaging information. As my pal Andrew McCarthy points out, Holder paints his department as the heroes in all of this. After trying to blame his predecessor (unsuccessfully), he claims that he was the one that put a stop to Fast and Furious. McCarthy asks if you think that this administration, which shovels out the nation’s top secrets at the drop of a hat, would sit on this information if it made them look good.
As all of this plays out, Obama should be asked, again and again, “Why did you choose to wait and exercise your only executive privilege claim to prevent the disclosure of those responsible for the murder of at least one US Border Patrol agent and probably many innocent Mexicans?”
OMG, The Truth About Sarah Revealed!
This came to me on the web….
The Real Truth About Sarah Palin — Ouch!
Very interesting facts on two very different ladies.
Whether you’re a Democrat, Independent, or Republican….the second half of this email should make all of us very sick
READ TO THE VERY END! VERY ENLIGHTENING!!! AND VERY DISTURBING!!!
By Dewie Whetsell, Alaskan Fisherman.
As posted in comments on Greta’s article referencing the MOVEON ad about Sarah Palin.
The last 45 of my 66 years I’ve spent in a commercial fishing town in Alaska . I understand Alaska politics but never understood national politics well until this last year. Here’s the breaking point: Neither side of the Palin controversy gets it. It’s not about persona, style, rhetoric, it’s about doing things. Even Palin supporters never mention the things that I’m about to mention here.
1. Democrats forget when Palin was the Darling of the Democrats, because as soon as Palin took the Governor’s office away from a fellow Republican and tough SOB, Frank Murkowski, she tore into the Republican’s “Corrupt Bastards Club” (CBC) and sent them packing. Many of them are now residing in State housing and wearing orange jump suits The Democrats reacted by skipping around the yard, throwing confetti and singing, “la la la la” (well, you know how they are). Name another governor in this country that has ever done anything similar.
2. Now with the CBC gone, there were fewer Alaskan politicians to protect the huge, giant oil companies here. So she constructed and enacted a new system of splitting the oil profits called “ACES.” Exxon (the biggest corporation in the world) protested and Sarah told them, “don’t let the door hit you in the stern on your way out.” They stayed, and Alaska residents went from being merely wealthy to being filthy rich. Of course, the other huge international oil companies meekly fell in line. Again, give me the name of any other governor in the country that has done anything similar.
3. The other thing she did when she walked into the governor’s office is she got the list of State requests for federal funding for projects, known as “pork.” She went through the list, took 85% of them and placed them in the “when-hell-freezes-over” stack. She let locals know that if we need something built, we’ll pay for it ourselves. Maybe she figured she could use the money she got from selling the previous governor’s jet because it was extravagant. Maybe she could use the money she saved by dismissing the governor’s cook (remarking that she could cook for her own family), giving back the State vehicle issued to her, maintaining that she already had a car, and dismissing her State-provided security force (never mentioning – I imagine – that she’s packing heat herself). I’m still waiting to hear the names of those other governors.
4. Now, even with her much-ridiculed “gosh and golly” mannerism, she also managed to put together a totally new approach to getting a natural gas pipeline built which will be the biggest private construction project in the history of North America. No one else could do it although they tried. If that doesn’t impress you, then you’re trying too hard to be unimpressed while watching her do things like this while baking up a batch of brownies with her other hand.
5. For 30 years, Exxon held a lease to do exploratory drilling at a place called Point Thompson. They made excuses the entire time why they couldn’t start drilling. In truth they were holding it like an investment. No governor for 30 years could make them get started. Then, she told them she was revoking their lease and kicking them out. They protested and threatened court action. She shrugged and reminded them that she knew the way to the court house. Alaska won again.
6. President Obama wants the nation to be on 25% renewable resources for electricity by 2025. Sarah went to the legislature and submitted her plan for Alaska to be at 50% renewable by 2025. We are already at 25%. I can give you more specifics about things done, as opposed to style and persona. Everybody wants to be cool, sound cool, look cool. But that’s just a cover-up. I’m still waiting to hear from liberals the names of other governors who can match what mine has done in two and a half years. I won’t be holding my breath.
By the way, she was content to return to Alaska after the national election and go to work, but the haters wouldn’t let her. Now these adolescent screechers are obviously not scuba divers. And no one ever told them what happens when you continually jab and pester a barracuda. Without warning, it will spin around and tear your face off. Shoulda known better.
You have just read the truth about Sarah Palin that sends the media, along with the Democrat party, into a wild uncontrolled frenzy to discredit her. I guess they are only interested in skirt chasers, dishonesty, immoral people, liars, womanizers, murderers, and bitter ex-presidents’ wives.
So “You go, Girl.” I only wish the men in Washington had your guts, determination, honesty, and morals. I rest my case. Only FOOLS listen to the biased media
NOW … If you’ve read this far … now, open your eyes to this….
First Lady Michelle Obama’s Servant List and Pay Scale
The First Lady Requires More Than Twenty Attendants (that’s 22 attendants to be exact)
1. $172,200 – Sher, Susan (Chief Of Staff)
2. $140,000 – Frye, Jocelyn C. (Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of Policy And Projects For The First Lady)
3. $113,000 – Rogers, Desiree G. (Special Assistant to the President and White House Social Secretary)
4. $102,000 – Johnston, Camille Y. (Special Assistant to the President and Director of Communications for the First Lady)
5. $100,000 – Winter, Melissa E. (Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
6. $90,000 – Medina , David S. (Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
7. $84,000 – Lelyveld, Catherine M. (Director and Press Secretary to the First Lady)
8. $75,000 – Starkey, Frances M. (Director of Scheduling and Advance for the First Lady)
9. $70,000 – Sanders, Trooper (Deputy Director of Policy and Projects for the First Lady)
10. $65,000 – Burnough, Erinn J. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
11. $64,000 – Reinstein, Joseph B. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
12. $62,000 – Goodman, Jennifer R. (Deputy Director of Scheduling and Events Coordinator For The First Lady)
13. $60,000 – Fitts, Alan O. (Deputy Director of Advance and Trip Director for the First Lady)
14. $57,500 – Lewis, Dana M. (Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady)
15. $52,500 – Mustaphi, Semonti M. (Associate Director and Deputy Press Secretary to The First Lady)
16. $50,000 – Jarvis, Kristen E. (Special-2Assistant for Scheduling and Traveling Aide to The First Lady)
17. $45,000 – Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (Associate Director of Correspondence For The First Lady)
18. $43,000 – Tubman, Samantha (Deputy Associate Director, Social Office)
19. $40,000 – Boswell, Joseph J. (Executive Assistant to the Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
20. $36,000 – Armbruster, Sally M. (Staff Assistant to the Social Secretary)
21. $35,000 – Bookey, Natalie (Staff Assistant)
22. $35,000 – Jackson, Deilia A. (Deputy Associate Director of Correspondence for the First Lady) (This is community organizing at it’s finest.)
There has NEVER been anyone in the White House at any time who has created such an army of staffers whose sole duties are the facilitation of the First Lady’s social life.One wonders why she needs so much help, at taxpayer expense, when even Hillary, only had three; Jackie Kennedy one; Laura Bush one; and prior to Mamie Eisenhower social help came from the President’s own pocket.
Note: This does not include makeup artist Ingrid Grimes-Miles, 49, and “First Hairstylist” Johnny Wright, 31, both of whom traveled aboard Air Force One to Europe .
FRIENDS…..THESE SALARIES ADD UP TO SIX MILLION, THREE HUNDRED SIXTY FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS ($6,364,000) FOR THE 4 YEARS OF OFFICE????? AND WE ARE IN A RECESSION????? WELL…..MOST OF US ARE.
I GUESS IT’S OK TO SPEND WILDLY WHEN IT’S NOT YOUR OWN MONEY?????
Yes, Yes, I know, The Canadian Free Press has to publish this because the USA media is too scared they might be considered racist.
Sorry USA !