You shall not murder
by L. J. Martin
ObamaCare makes provisions for panels of hospital administrators who will determine if it’s economically propitious to treat a patient who’s over 70…otherwise, can we afford to invest in this old fart. Just for fun (and admittedly, spite) I’ve taken a quick look at some folks over 70, and a look at what some, who have more respect for age than those in our current administration, have to say on the subject.
At age 70 Benjamin Franklin helped draft the Declaration of Independence
71) Casey Stengel began managing the New York Mets
72) Margaret Ringenberg flew around the world.
73) Ronald Reagan was re-relected President of the United States
74) Ferdinand Marie de Lesseps began at attempt to construct the Suez Canal.
75) Warren Buffett set up a $30 billion contribution to the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation & Barbara Hillar became one of the oldest people, and the first black woman, to reach the North Pole.
76) Authur Rubinstein gave a concert in London.
77) Grandma Moses started painting. John Glenn became the oldest person to go into space.
78) Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. gave his definition of the limits to free speech. He said “the First Amendment would not protect someone “falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.”
79) Peter Oakley, known as Geriatric1927, is the marketing guru of the Zimmers, a 40-strong band with an average age of 78. The Zimmers gained a cult following after posting their cover of the Who’s “My Generation” on YouTube. Oakley’s video diary ranked as ninth overall on YouTube’s Most Subscribed List. Actor Jimmy Stewart worked to enhance public appreciation and understanding of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Asa A. Long became the oldest U.S. checkers champion.
80) Jessica Tandy became the oldest Oscar recipient for her work in Driving Miss Daisy. George Burns became the second oldest Oscar recipient for his work in The Sunshine Boys. American writer and physician Oliver Wendell Holmes published “Over the Teacups,” which displayed his characteristic vitality and wit. Christine Brown of Laguna Hills, California flew to China and climbed the Great Wall. Paul Newman earned an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or TV Movie for “Empire Falls” in 2005. Dick Van Dyke appeared in the movie, “A Night at the Museum.” Sir George Martin (along with his son Giles) co-produced the Beatles’ album “Love,” the soundtrack to a Cirque du Soleil play. Clint Eastwood: The actor, director, and producer, 80, has been involved in quite a few Oscar-nominated projects of late, and plans to direct until he’s 100 or older.
81) Barbara McClintock won the Nobel Prize in “Physiology or Medicine” for the discovery of genetic tranposition.
82) The renowned writer and thinker Johann Wolfgang von Goethe finished writing Faust, with which he had begun experimenting more than 60 years earlier. William Ivy Baldwin became the oldest tightrope walker, crossing the South Boulder Canyon in Colorado on a 320-foot wire. Legendary blues singer Alberta Hunter performed at a Greenwich Village nightclub, making a remarkable musical comeback. James Cagney came back from twenty years of retirement to appear in the film Ragtime. Winston Churchill wrote A History of the English-Speaking Peoples. Leo Tolstoy wrote I Cannot Be Silent. Rita Roherty hit 91 of 100 clay pigeons to take third place in a shotgun competition. Venus Ramey balanced on her walker and fired her handgun to shoot out an intruder’s tires. Ramey, winner of the 1944 Miss America pageant, confronted the man on her Kentucky farm and disabled his vehicle so he couldn’t escape. Legendary filmmaker Sidney Lumet directed “Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead,” starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke.
90) Chagall became the first living artist to be exhibited at the Louvre museum. Pablo Picasso was still producing drawings and engravings. Chemist Paul Walden was still giving chemistry lectures.
100) Alice Porlock of Great Britain published her first book, Portrait of My Victorian Youth, when she was 102 years old.
And there are literally hundreds of millions more who’ve contributed to humanity after the age of 70.
“Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?” Confucius
And a few thoughts from an old book to which the current administration seems to pay little attention:
“‘Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God…” Leviticus 19:32
“Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee…” Exodus 20:12
“Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?” Job 12:12
“Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.” Proverbs 16:31
“Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you….” Deuteronomy 5:16
And last but certainly not least:
“You shall not murder,” The 6th Commandment
So, shall we be able to prosecute these panels for murder, should they not act? Here’s a legal interpretation of “failure to act”:
A person’s failure to act can also constitute the “act” of the crime if that person had a legal obligation to act. In almost all situations, a parent has a legal obligation to his or her child whether the relationship is natural (biological parents) or legal (adoptive parents), a legal guardian has a legal obligation to protect the person for whom he or she is a guardian, and a sibling may have a legal obligation towards another sibling.
When a person is incapacitated and in the care of another, it’s my belief that guardian has a legal obligation.
And, oh by the way, that’s moral and right; however those two factors seem to be severely lacking in today’s American political system.
“You shall not murder,” The 6th Commandment
Check out this video: Obama’s Death Panels
L. J. Martin (over 70) is the author of the conservative blog http://fromthepeapatch.com, and of 30 book length works, as well as dozens of ariticles published in national periodicals. He lives in Montana with his wife, an internationally published, NYT bestselling, author of over 55 novels. For more see www.ljmartin.com.
- When are we going to learn! Somali man tries to murder hundreds in Portland
- The stoning, and brutal, brutal, sadistic murder of a young girl…